No-Sew DIY Pin Cushion

Wednesday 15 March 2017

DIY pin cushion

National DIY day is just around the corner. I hope all of you DIYers are as excited as I am! As you can probably guess already from my DIY posts, I love anything crafty especially when it comes to home and interior. So naturally, becoming an ambassador for National DIY day was super exciting for me as it's right up my street!

When is National DIY Day you ask? It's on the 2nd of April and the lead up to it has me all DIY ready. (For those of you following my social network accounts, you'll know how I have been preparing.)

This particular DIY, I chose after realising that I own so many pins but I don't have a pin cushion!? Which is crazy because (for those of you who don't know) I wear a hijab. And to hold the hijab in place I use pins. Including the fact that I am also a sewer, you can imagine a pin cushion is seriously something that would come in handy!

On that note, for several reasons, this pin cushion can come in handy for a lot of you too! Even if you don't sew, I'm sure most of you keep pins at home just because you know you'll end up needing them. (And it can become a little annoying having them lying around the house, especially when you accidentally step on one.) And for you hijab wearers, a cute little pin cushion will give your pins the perfect little home they need.

The reason I love this DIY is there is no-sewing-involved at all, none what-so-ever. And it's so simple! Read along and I'll show you how to make a no-sew DIY pin cushion!

what you'll need

What You'll Need:

  • Fabric
  • Short tin can
  • Scissors
  • Glue gun
  • Thread
  • Polyfill


diy pin cushion


Step 1. 
Cut a long, rectangular piece out of your fabric to cover
your tin can with. 
Make sure it can fold over and under the tin can.


Step 2.
Get your glue gun and apply the glue 
to the long strip of fabric and stick 
down across the tin.


Step 3. 
Fold over the fabric into the top of the tin, 
covering a little bit of the top and glue down.


Step 4.
At the bottom of the tin, 
slit the fabric a few times 
so it is easy to fold over and cover 
the bottom. Apply glue to each section and fold over


Step 5.
Cut a square piece of fabric.


Step 6.
Put some polyfill into the middle
of the fabric and close it up.


Step 7.
Wrap some thread around the fabric to hold it in place. 
Tie up the thread and knot it.


Step 8.
Place some glue at the bottom of the tin can and stick your cushion fabric piece inside.


Step 9. 
Neaten it up, put some pins in and you are done!


No Sew pin cushion

cath kidston pin tin

As a National DIY DAY ambassador I am proud to support AdoptAClassroom.org and their mission to give teachers a hand by providing much-needed classroom materials so that their students can learn and succeed. National DIY DAY and Step Inside My Handbag is committed to supporting classrooms and providing tools for students and teachers to enhance the creative learning experience
Support AdoptAClassroom.org by Texting a Donation Today! Text the word "Give" to (678) 582-8594 and you will be prompted through a secure system to make a donation of your choice! 

18 comments :

  1. As Salam Alikum sister
    Wow thanks for the step by step how to it is such a easy article to follow and I love looking at all the pictures of the project while it's being made thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sis! I hope you try it out, it's so easy!

      Delete
  2. This is such a handly little DIY and looks cute and simple. I think I should make one as my pins are never found again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's so easy to make and comes in handy!

      Delete
  3. It's quite easy and cool. And easy to teach the kids at school. Plus, I love the color shade and the stripes of the fabric you have used to make. Nice DIY :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes I agree, it's such a fun and crafty project!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this, it's such a cute pin cushion and I love that it's a no sew diy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a must try inshaAllah. Looks so easy. Now I just need a glue gun. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! if you can give it a try, get your hands on a glue gun!

      Delete
  6. In terms of crafts, I won't say I've much patience and creativity. So glad for these kind of posts. Makes things look so easy and good for lazy people like me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! And this is a seriously easy one too!

      Delete
  7. What a great idea. It looks useful and pretty easy and straight forward to make. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so very creative. Masha Allah

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've made one of these! I love them - all my pins no longer go missing now and my husband has stopped complaining about finding my pins everywhere around the house! Lol - This is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is sooo cute! I actually want to make a big one for my hijab pins, since I have this in this mini drawer on my dresser and it's so hard to dig to find the right colour, this would make it so much easier. (www.beautywithzainy.com and www.spicyfusionkitchen.com)

    ReplyDelete